Feature update: Consecutive game searches, multi-game spans, team pages, and more!
Today, I'm introducing several big add-ons to the Data Explorer and a couple other major feature upgrades to the website elsewhere.
Coach and team pages
At the top of any WNBA page at Across the Timeline, you can now search for players, coaches, and teams/franchises to pull up full stats, awards, and more for any of them, past or present. Just like with the player pages, career/overall stats split by default by season/team, but they can be split instead by any combination of Home/Away, Opponent, Opposing Coach, Team, Win/Loss, and more.
In addition to basic and advanced stats for that particular coach/team, you can also select opposing stats for any coach or team.
Advanced coach and team stats now also includes offensive rating, defensive rating, and net rating for any split.
Here are a few example links to specific coaching data:
- Cheryl Reeve's Regular Season Coaching Stats
- James Wade's Regular Season Advanced Opponent Stats
- Curt Miller's Regular Season Wins Milestones
Here are a few example links to specific team/franchise data:
- Basic Regular Season Stats for Las Vegas Aces (Franchise, includes Utah and San Antonio)
- Basic Regular Season Opponent Stats for Seattle Storm, by Storm Head Coach
- Los Angeles Sparks Transactions
- New York Liberty Awards
Data Explorer Updates
Offensive / Defensive / Net Rating
With offensive rating, defensive rating, and net rating now on the coach/team pages, it is now included in several team searches in the Data Explorer as well. Here are a few examples:
- Top 10 Games by Net Rating
- # of Games With Net Rating At Least 20 by Franchise, Season
- Top 20 Seasons by Net Rating
- 2021 Team Stats, Ordered By Net Rating
- # of Seasons With Offensive Rating At Least 105 by Franchise
Consecutive Game Searches
In addition to searching for individual games, full seasons, or careers, you can now also search for streaks of consecutive games in the following ways:
- Player consecutive game search: Find the longest streaks of qualifying games where one player matched defined statistical criteria in each game
- Team consecutive game search: Find the longest streaks of qualifying games where one team/franchise matched defined statistical criteria in each game
- Player game span search: Find largest totals of a selected stat within a certain number of games played by one player
- Team game span search: Find largest totals of a selected stat within a certain number of games played by one team
These are similar to the team win/loss streak search in that they compile runs of games, presenting aggregate data on those runs as well as listings of game logs for the matches returned.
- Show __ longest streaks: Specify the number of results to show
- Include streaks that span multiple seasons: If unchecked, streaks can only include games from one season
- Include streaks with games played for multiple franchises: If unchecked, streaks can only include games played for one franchise
- Only include streaks at start of qualifying games in a player's season: If checked, only include the first streak of matching games for each player in each season
Let's run through a few examples to show what you can do with these new searches.
Consecutive Regular Season Games with 10+ PTS
Get the latest results with the search here: consecutive regular season games with 10+ PTS
I've been talking about this one all season as there are currently two active streaks in the top 10 here: Arike Ogunbowale (5th - 58 games) and A'ja Wilson (8th - 51 games), though it would take another season still to reach Cynthia Cooper's 92-game streak.
Consecutive Regular Season Games with 20+ PTS
Get the latest results with the search here: consecutive regular season games with 20+ PTS
Another big one this season, as Betnijah Laney put together 8 consecutive games with 20 or more points to start the 2021 season, tied for the 2nd-longest such streak in league history. Of course Cynthia Cooper is at the top of this leader board, too.
More Consecutive Player Game Searches
Here are a few more:
- Tina Charles' Pair of Back-to-Back 30/15 Games
- Active Streaks of Consecutive Games with At Least One 3PM
- Longest Streaks of Consecutive Games With No FTA
- Consecutive Double-Doubles
Player Game Span Searches
- Most Points Over a 5-Game Stretch
- Most Free Throws Made Over First 10 Games of Season
- Most Points in Player's First Three Regular Season Games
Consecutive Team Game Searches
- Longest Streaks of Consecutive Games With Net Rating At Least 25
- Consecutive Games Won By 15 Or More
- Consecutive Games With At Least 10 FTA And 80% FTM
Team Game Span Searches
- Most Free Throws Made Over 5-Game Stretch
- Most Blocks Over 10-Game Stretch
- Largest Total Points Margin Over 5-Game Playoffs Stretch
There's always more in the works, so stay tuned for future updates, and if you run in to a problem or need help finding what you're looking for, feel free to reach out at email@example.com.
Every donation helps!
Can you spare a dollar a month? Even a one-time donation goes a long way!
The support for Across the Timeline has been incredible and so appreciated. If you want to help keep acrossthetimeline.com and this newsletter free, every one-time and monthly donation helps. Click/tap here to support.
And of course, please share with anyone who may be interested and/or able to help.